Monday, November 18, 2013

Brandon Rios discusses his amateur career with his father and his pro career with Robert Garcia

Brandon Rios credits his father with shaping the early part of his boxing life, and Robert Garcia's influence in the pro game ahead of Saturday's fight with Manny Pacquiao.

What has Robert Garcia taught you that contributed to your success in the ring that your father didn't? What is the most important lesson Garcia has taught you?
"You know what? You cannot compare Robert Garcia to my dad, Manuel Rios I'm going to tell you why. My Dad did a great job, he got me where I needed to be in the amateurs. He took me very far and honestly he was the best at that job. He took me as far as to have Robert Garcia notice me and take me to the professionals. You cannot compare the two because my dad is my dad and as a trainer he got me very far in my amateur career and at a very young age. Not a lot of trainers let alone dads can do that for young boxers or their sons. My dad did great with me in amateurs and Robert is doing a great job with me in the professionals. Two very different worlds, and different atmospheres.
"I admire and respect my dad for all he did for me and continues to do at Garden City Boxing Club in Kansas, because he continues to create champions and most importantly get kids off the street. How can you not admire that right? My dad did all he could to get me off the streets, sometimes I listened sometimes I didn't. But I will tell you this much, my dad is the reason I even love boxing as much as I do and the reason one day I decided I wanted to fight. Without my Dad I wouldn't of have gotten to meet Robert Garcia and become the fighter I am today.

HBO PPV Boxing Pacquiao vs.Rios Fight HD Free


"As far as Robert Garcia I have a different admiration for him and he taught me at a different level, in a professional level. When I came from Kansas I was basically a kid coming to a whole new world with new people. He flew me from Garden City to Oxnard to train professionally. At that point I started living with my assistant trainer Donald Leary who took me into his home as another family member. Thanks to the training and advising of not only Robert but also Donald I learned to adapt quickly to the professional boxing career. I love the way Robert trains, he trains great professionally I believe my dad made a great choice to hand me over to one of the greatest boxing trainers once I was done with my amateur career.

No comments:

Post a Comment